Us Markets Poised For Scotland Vote & Alibaba Impact

Us Markets Poised For Scotland Vote & Alibaba Impact

A potential market obstruction passed by the wayside last night, as Scotland voted to remain with the United Kingdom and indices responded favorably.  



Us Markets Poised For Scotland Vote & Alibaba Impact
Us Markets Poised For Scotland Vote & Alibaba Impact

And with Alibaba – sporting one of the highest IPOs in history – set to hit the market, Friday is shaping up to be a good day for the US stock exchange.
Futures rose Friday morning, according to MarketWatch. The Dow added 0.4%, the S&P 500 gained 0.33% and the Nasdaq increased by 0.4%.

Scotland rejects autonomy
Through a tight race, those in favor of Scottish independence fell short in their efforts to separate from the 307-year-old UK, according to Bloomberg. Ultimately, 55% of voters supported remaining with the UK against 45% preferring autonomy. As a measure of enticing Scotland to stay, UK leadership promised greater policy-making decision to Scotland, in addition to altering the constitution and changing the way the member states are governed.

“I accept the verdict,” Alex Salmond, leader of Scotland’s government in Edinburgh, said in a speech. “The unionist parties made vows and Scotland will expect them to be delivered in rapid course.” Following the election, UK stocks grew to a six-and-a-half year high and the pound sterling reached the strongest rate in two years.

Alibaba sets IPO
Chinese Internet giant Alibaba set its initial public offering at $68 per share on the New York Stock Exchange, the Wall Street Journal reported. That pricing would put the company on course to raise at least $21.8 billion and give Alibaba an initial market value of $168 billion – making it one of the 40 largest public businesses in the world.

Despite the huge numbers, some investors are skeptical about the company’s performance in its first few months, once the market settles. While many believe the shares could rise, some raised concerns over a group of unrestricted early investors.

Vince Rivers, senior portfolio manager at JO Hambro Capital Management, told the Wall Street Journal that the analysts he spoke with forecast Alibaba to trade from $80 to $100 per share on Friday. He also believed investors should observe trade volume rather than price in judging buyers’ returns. "If you see it open with big volume, you're clearing out a lot of the potential sellers. But if it spikes up with no volume, then you might see it come back down quickly," he explained.

Nadex protects investors in volatile markets
With all the uncertainty in today’s markets, many traders are looking to binary options from Nadex. These short-term contracts have a set ceiling and floor, so no matter how unexpectedly the market shifts, investors still have the potential to turn a profit.


This information has been prepared by Nadex, a trading name of North American Derivatives Exchange, Inc., prepared by independent third parties contracted by Nadex or reproduced form third party news agencies. In addition to the disclaimer below, the material on this page does not contain an offer of, or solicitation for, a transaction in any financial instrument. Nadex accepts no responsibility for any use that may be made of these comments and for any consequences that result. No representation or warranty is given as to the accuracy or completeness of this information. Consequently any person acting on it does so entirely at their own risk. Any research provided does not have regard to the specific investment objectives, financial situation and needs of any specific person who may receive it. It has not been prepared in accordance with legal requirements designed to promote the independence of investment research and as such is considered to be a marketing communication.